Amaretti Biscuit Recipe
A delicious, super simple recipe that uses up excess egg whites and can be flavoured and adapted to your own taste.
I love these biscuits with a cup of coffee but also work well to accompany desserts as well as being used to replace sponge fingers in trifle/tiramisu recipes.
You can make the mix, portion it and freeze or freeze the biscuits once baked, believe it or not they actually freeze really well.
I'm using ground almonds in the recipe, which of course keeps them gluten free. However the almonds can be substituted for any nut of your choice or even desicated coconut works incredibly well and replace the amaretto for a coconut liquor !!!
160g Egg whites
380g Ground Almonds
300g castor sugar
2 tbsp Amaretto liquor
1 tsp of vanilla extract or paste
Pinch of sea salt
Equal quantities of icing sugar and castor sugar, mixed together to coat.
- Pre heat the oven to 175C. In a clean bowl, whisk the egg whites with the salt until they form soft peaks.
- Fold in the rest of the ingredients until a thick paste is formed.
- Roll into 20g balls, you can use wet hands if it helps as the mix can be quite sticky.
- Place the balls in to the sugar mix and coat well.
- Place into a baking tray lined with parchment, making sure to leave enough space between each biscuit for them to expand.
- Bake for 15 minutes until golden, remove from the oven abs leave to cool on the tray.
I hope you enjoy the recipe and would love to hear from you if you recreate this delicious classic! : )